Study of Biology, Chemistry and Pharmacy at University of Tuebingen.
Habilitation in Pharmaceutical Biology at University of Regensburg.
Director of pharmaceutical development of natural products of ASTA Medica, Frankfurt/Main.
Vice-President of Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices, Berlin.
Since May 1, 1996: Full Professor in Plant Foodstuff Technology (since 2014: Plant Foodstuff Technology and Analysis), Hohenheim University, Stuttgart.
Recovery of valuable components (polyphenols, carotenoids, pectin) from plant wastes, and their application in functional food and feed. Screening for functional components and colouring foodstuffs, stabilization of natural pigments (anthocyanins, betalains, carotenoids). Development of innovative processes (e.g. fruit firming, enzymatic peeling and liquefaction, minimally processing, adsorption technology). Quality improvement in the production of plant foodstuffs (e.g. sanitation of fresh-cut fruits and vegetables, mitigation of acrylamide, waterjet cutting, UV-C irradiation). Processing and postharvest handling of tropical fruits (e.g. fruit juice and purée processing).
Five of the most important publications:
1. SCHIEBER, A., STINTZING, F.C., CARLE, R. (2001) By-products of plant food processing as a source of functional compounds - recent developments. Trends in Food Science and Technology 12, 401-413.
2. STINTZING, F.C., CARLE R. (2004) Functional properties of anthocyanins and betalains in plants, food, and in human nutrition. Trends in Food Science and Technology 15, 19-38.
3. SCHIEBER, A., KELLER, P., CARLE, R. (2001) Determination of phenolic acids and flavonoids of apple and pear by high-performance liquid chromatography. Journal of Chromatography A 910, 265-273.
4. KAMMERER, D., CLAUS, A., CARLE, R., SCHIEBER, A. (2004) Polyphenol screening of pomace from red and white grape varieties (Vitis vinifera L.) by HPLC-DAD-MS/MS. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 52, 4360-4367.
5. STINTZING, F.C., STINTZING, A.S., CARLE, R., FREI, B., WROLSTAD, R.E. (2002) Color and antioxidant properties of cyanidin-based anthocyanin pigments. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 50, 6172-6181.